Growing Up!

Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

Monday, April 21, 2008

Whoops, Did I say that?

Dorea and I were watching the "My Big, Fat, Greek Wedding" movie the other night and I was reminded of something that happened to me. When I was in high school, I had a part time evening job at a local Pizza restaurant. My manager was from Iran and of course was bilingual. His cousin, Navid, also worked with us and was a little deviant. My manager told me one evening that his family was in the U.S. and would be stopping by the restaurant to eat dinner. His family included his mother, father, cousins, grandparents, and several others. None of his family who were visiting spoke any English. I asked my manager's cousin, Navid how to say "Welcome to our restaurant. Please, make yourself at home." in their language. I was going to surprise the family with my newly learned words to help them feel welcome. So finally they arrived and I ran to the front of the restaurant with my hands in the air loudly proclaiming what I thought was "welcome". They looked really surprised once I shouted this phrase in their language, a little too surprised. Their reaction was not what I expected. It was more of a mouth open, silent stare at me. At the same time my manager runs to the front and says to me, with a scouring tone, "what are you saying that for?" My manager says, "why are you telling my family that we have rats and you like to wear ladies underwear?" I looked in the corner to see Navid laughing hysterically. I, too, thought it was pretty funny. I am still friends with that manager. His family just thought I was some fool.

2 comments:

2 kids...3 martinis said...

You crazy fool! That's a great story!

Mindy said...

I love it. I can really picture it. We have been missing your stories, Dewayne!